Monday, August 12, 2013

First Day of School

I've homeschooled Gramm for the past 2 years...3 years if you count preK, which was basically us reading books all year. It was super fun. This year I am teaching Gramm and my precious, energetic twins. A second grader and two kindergarteners. Today was our first day. We started out with a yummy breakfast (oatmeal bake, maple yogurt with blueberries, milk). I came up with a new tradition this year. On the first day of school, my babydad and I give each child their own cup, plate and bowl. I chose each pattern based on what each kiddo is interested in at this time. The kids all love their new dishes. And, by the time they graduate from high school, they will each have a fun and memorable set of mismatched dishes.






This child. My heart!!!


My dear friend made this really cool board for our crew...I hope to remember to take pics of my kids in front of it every school year. Romy boy missed out this year because he was napping. 

Gramm wanted to hold Vivi for this pic because she'd had a earache all day. 

This boy listening to history on the backporch...Story of the World, ancients. He is loving it. 

My high school bestie and her boys graced us with their presence for the evening. This chunky monkey (on the right) is 3 months younger than Roman.

A few homeschooling details for any of you who are interested: 
  • we have been blessed with the ability to hire a wonderful helper two afternoons a week. Hello, mental health for mommy. 
  • I never, ever, ever thought I would homeschool my kids.
  • I had major anxiety this weekend over the first day of school.
  • The twins loved school and may be the easiest students ever. They asked for more work today and even specifically requested certain subjects. Then again, I may be speaking too soon. 
  • this is our first year to homeschool without a co-op. So far, so good. You know, one day in and all. 
  • when I was in the throes of twin toddlers, I picked out a great private school for them to attend. I was still loosely planning on them going to school until sometime in June. Mamas, don't plan your life based on the crazy hard toddler years. Things change. 
  • I'm tired and going to bed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment