Saturday, August 24, 2013

Easy, Nutritious Donuts. Seriously.

We love donuts. I love baking yummy treats for my kids. I googled "soaked wheat donuts" and found this recipe.

I pretty much followed the recipe, but I soaked my flour in buttermilk. I did not use lemon juice or vinegar and I added a little more buttermilk than the recipe called for because the dough seemed a little thick. I have found that soaking whole wheat baked goods in buttermilk makes a much better flavor than using water and an acid medium such as vinegar or lemon juice. I rolled the donuts to a little less than 1/2" thick. (My version of the recipe below). You can read a bit about why I soak wheat flour here.


My big boy was my photographer. And, yes my shirt is 13 years old. Why do you ask?



The pic above was right before we put them in the oven. The donut holes were a huge hit! The recipe yielded 14 donuts and a dozen or so donut holes. I used a pretty large biscuit cutter for the donuts. The cutter was about the size of an English muffin. And I baked them anywhere from 9-15 minutes on the convection setting.


For the toppings, I made the chocolate sauce in the recipe above, cinnamon and sugar and powdered sugar. For the sugared toppings, I dipped the donuts in melted butter and then the sugas. Divine. Truly.


The donuts were divine, but they were definitely had more of a cake donut type texture. Even my non-wheat loving hubby liked them. I should have gotten a better profile shot of the donuts after they were baked. I assure you, they rose nicely.


And my big kiddos after donuts...as I was snapping this pic they said, "better than Shipleys!!" Totally unprompted and hilarious. Love these kids!

Recipe with my adaptations (see original recipe here):

Soaked Wheat Donuts

4 1/2 cups whole wheat flour4 tsp. baking soda1/2 tsp. salt1/2 tsp. nutmeg1 tsp. cinnamon3 egg yolks
1 cup organic cane sugar or sucanat5 Tbsp. butter or coconut oil, melted1 to 1-1/2 cups buttermilk 
Donuts:
Combine the flour, sugar, coconut oil and buttermilk. Let the dough rest for 12-24 hours. Add the remaining ingredients and mix well. (I let mine rest overnight, like 8-9 hours and no one died). 
Roll out dough to approximately 1/2″ thickness. Cut out donuts with cutter, ring or shape into desired shapes.
Bake on an ungreased baking sheet  at 425 degrees for 8-10 minutes.  Allow to cool.
Topping Options:
For chocolate:
1 cup chocolate chips 
1/4 cup milk 3 Tbsp. organic all purpose flour (or arrowroot or cornstarch)
Melt chocolate chips slowly on the stove in a pot or a double boiler if you like things fancy. When all of the chocolate is melted slowly stir in the milk and flour.  Mix until smooth.  Remove from heat.
Dip the donuts in the warm chocolate.
Store donuts in an airtight container at room temperature for short term storage.  Store in a freezer for long term storage.
For powdered sugar or cinnamon sugar:
melt about a stick of butter, dip warm donuts in butter and then in desired sugars. Divine. 

No comments:

Post a Comment