Wednesday, March 9, 2011

Vivian and Brooklyn


My girls are three years old. Three years ago today, at this time of night, I was sitting in a hospital bed simultaneously nursing my twins and grinning from ear to ear. I remember it so vividly. The Lord gave me such peace and confidence in that moment. I felt that if I could handle nursing two tiny babies (5 lbs. 9 oz. and 5 lbs. 15 oz.) at the same time when they were a mere six hours old, I could do this twin thang. Wow. I love those babies. But, they are not babies anymore. And, I can't do this twin thang. Jesus does it. I'm just a big old people-pleasing, second-guessing, fear-fighting mama. So, before I fill your pretty little heads with everything we did on our fun-filled day of celebrating Vivi and Brook, I want to include a quote that sums up how I feel about my big/little girls:

"All children, except one, grow up. They soon know that they will grow up, and the way Wendy knew was this. One day when she was two years old she was playing in a garden, and she plucked another flower and ran with it to her mother. I suppose she must have looked rather delightful, for Mrs. Darling put her hand to her heart and cried, "Oh, why can't you remain like this forever?" This was all that passed between them on the subject, but it was then that Wendy knew she would certainly grow up." from Peter Pan by J.M. Barrie

Feeding people is one of my main love languages, so of course, I let my kiddos chose what we will eat for every meal on their birthdays.

Breakfast: blueberry french toast and bacon. Want the recipe? Leave a comment and I'll give it it's very own post. It's that goot. Brooklyn in front. Check out the b-day bowls I painted at a local pottery place. So fun to paint and fun to use! Brook in front.



In the two above pics, Gramm just had to give the girls some birthday sugar. Vivi in the orange bib.

Lunch: None other than Chick-fil-a complete with a trip to the playland. And, then a little jaunt over to Cupcakes on the Ridge for some sugar. Pic below, all ready to go. I cannot explain these poses. You take what you get with three kids and a photo op. :) The pics below that one are at Cupcakes. The kids look a little tired already...precursor to the sugar induced coma that was naptime.





Dinner: Chicken nuggets again, baby! The girls originally requested mac and cheese with their nuggets, but at the last minute, Brook asked french fries instead. So, parmesan oven fries it was and they were the bomb dig. The chicken nuggets were from scratch and while they are not nearly as good as the Chick, they were pretty dang good and very much enjoyed by our crew.Pic below: the girls enjoying their leftover cupcakes after dinner. Vivian on left. Goodness gracious, love those smiles!!!


Between meals we played and read and played and read. I frequent the dollar spot at Target and they occasionally have condensed, illustrated classics for 1 dollar. The girls and Gramm are loving the books. Vivian and Brooklyn may not seem to be listening attentively the entire time I read chapter books, but they enjoy it nonetheless and it's some great snuggle time.

Their presents from us were their birthday dresses and a precious little doll house (thanks to the going out of bidness sale at a local toy store). All three children have enjoyed the doll house. I smiled so big as I watched each kiddo play with the little furniture and fill the house with little people.


We put a cap on our great day with a super fun bubble bath. As I was tucking in the girls, Brooklyn suggested that I sing "Happy Birthday" one more time. I did. And I looked at them as I was singing and prayed that I would always remember their precious little faces and this sweet time in our family.

Love to all.

3 comments:

  1. What a blessed time, and they will always know how loved they are by their parents. May Christ continue to be your source, and may His spirit do a might work in those little girls hearts. Thanks for sharing the love, and joy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea! for happy birthdays! I love the freedom we have to celebrate our babies. Perfect love cast out all fear. And I'm crying. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a fun day! I remember holding these two girlies at just a few weeks of life. Holly you are a wonderful mommy and these girls know how much they are loved....it shows all over their sweet faces. Happy Birthday to your Baby Girls!

    ReplyDelete