Monday, April 26, 2010

Menu Planning

Over the past year, my family and I have made some major changes in the way we eat. I'm not one to take things a step at a time, so I jumped in head first. I will write about these changes later, but for now I want to write about something that has stayed the same amid all the researching, reading, and cooking mishaps.

I plan a menu every week. A dear friend gave me the cutest little notebook that makes menu planning a breeze. As I am planning our meals, I make the list of things I will need to cook for these meals. Here are a few things I've learned about planning a menu:
  • Don't overestimate my ability to cook and the time I have in the kitchen. I must remember to plan simply.
  • Cook something other than chick food. This is a problem for me. Can anyone say "quiche"? It's what's for dinner!
  • I plan one meal a week that can serve an extra family in case we decide to invite some peops over to share a meal with us.
  • I try to always check my pantry and freezer before I get started so that I will not waste any food or spend money needlessly.
  • If I am cooking a recipe from a cookbook, I write the name of the cookbook and the page number of the recipe on the menu.
  • I love to cook, but it usually won't happen if I don't plan to do it.
Without further ado, here is our menu for last week and this week. This a very loose plan and many meals are shifted, switched and delayed in order to meet our schedule.

4.19, Monday
Felafel and quinoa tabouleh
4.20, Tuesday
Green enchiladas, mexican rice
4.21, Wednesday
leftovers
4.22, Thursday
Smoked Sausage Skillet
4.23, Friday
date night! Kids eat leftovers
4.24, Saturday
leftovers, ham sandwiches (bread baking day)
4.25, Sunday
order pizza
4.26, Monday
Baked chicken, mushrooms in garlic cream sauce, sweet potatoes
4.27, Tuesday
PW's Chicken pot pie, mashed potatoes
4.28, Wednesday
leftovers
4.29, Thursday
sloppy joes on homemade rolls, mashed potatoes, pineapple
4.30, Friday
leftovers
5.1, Saturday
pancakes with strawberries and whipped cream, scrambled eggs
5.2, Sunday
meal for church: gallo pinto, mexican cornbread

Feel free to send any menu planning questions, tips, or thoughts my way. Peace.

1 comment:

  1. I want some of these recipes... will you share?

    felafel & quinoa tabouleh

    smoked sausage skillet (i have a basic idea of this just want to know what you put in yours)


    gallo pinto & mex. cornbread

    Thanks!!!

    ReplyDelete